WHAT CAUSES PAIN?
Pain is your bodies subjective response to an unpleasant stimulus. This means that what is painful for you may not be painful or may be more painful for someone else. Infact some people feel pain just by watching a painful event and othere people dont feel any pain at all (HSAN). It is how your body interprets your environment and involves many factors.
- – Please watch the following video that further explains pain – video
- – Another video on a wonderful Australian Physio David Butler on his book – explain pain
- – Video on basic principles of Pain Management according to David Butler
Pain is caused by several factors:
||– The process that causes the redness and swelling also affects nerves and can make them more sensitive.|
||– Results from the disease process or from stress, injury or pressure|
||– Makes your pain seem worse and harder to handle|
||– Results from limited movement or no longer doing activities you enjoy.|
|You can get caught in a cycle of pain, limited/lost abilities, stress and depression that makes managing pain difficult|
WHAT MAKES YOU PAIN WORSE?
- Increased disease activity
- Focusing on pain
- Stress / Fatigue
- Overdoing physical activity
- Unavoidable situations
WHAT CAN HELP PAIN?
- Positive attitude and pleasant thoughts
- Heat and Cold treatments
- TENS Machine (Transcutaneous Nerve Stimulation)
- Appropriate exercise
- Topical pain relievers
- Medications (Specific Pain relief for your type of pain)
- Distraction / Humour
- Understand your pain (cause / course)
- Variety (try new things that might help)
To Learn how to Manage Your Pain – Click here