Use It Or Lose It !!
● Aged Care is a system designed to help people.
● It does so by assisting with a Residents activities of daily living such as hygiene, cleaning, cooking etc
● As a result Residents tend to do far less than what they were before entering an Aged Care Facility.
● This leads to people de conditioning:
- Muscle Weakness
- Reduced Heart Lung Function
- Reduced Balance
- Reduced Co ordination
- Cognitive decline (exercise helps the brain as well as the body)
● This tends to happen slowly over many months and may not be noticed by the Resident themselves which doesn’t allow them to be proactive about dealing with it.
● To help prevent this de conditioning it is very important that
- The Resident does as much as they can to help themselves (showering, walking, cleaning etc)
- The Resident does as many of the activities provided by the Facility
- The Resident stays involved with community activities as much as possible
- The Resident stays involved with Family and Friends as much as possible
● The old saying definitely applies here to body and mind