This is a question that goes through the minds of Patients and Practitioners at almost every stage of treatment.
The simple answer to this is – until you are better.
The complicated answer to this is:
– Whilst treatment is effective (has a good result at improving your performance, quality of life, reducing pain, gaining strength etc)
– Everyone will have different expectations for treatment also. For example (i) Reduce my back pain so I can work. (ii) Rehabilitate me after back surgery so I can return to elite sport. Obviously the former will take a lot longer than some simple pain reduction work.
– Whilst you have the financial resources to do so (might be a good idea to get private health insurance)
– Whilst the Practitioner and Patient agree it is an appropriate, effective form of treatment
How Much is a Normal amount of Treatment?
– This varies based on your condition / injury
– The more complicated and severe the injury the more treatment will be required
– The more self-management you do the less treatment and better results you will have. This includes home exercises, hydrotherapy, gymnasium, classes, pain management strategies, bracing, taping, TENS, etc.
– It is Vital you have great, open communication with your Physiotherapist so that you both understand your goals, needs, financial / social, time situation and work closely to achieve the best outcome.